Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mid-Late June

Greetings my loyal followers....

Evita is in the final shows. We had a sing through tonight as a refresher for the last 4 shows. We're doing Friday & Saturday shows the next two weeks. It should be fun. It'll be weird not playing this show anymore, but hey. The show picked up either 6 or 8 Jeff Awards including Best Musical Non-Equity, Best Music Director, and then a few best actors awards. Pretty hip.

Cam's Tie at the Slam. Cam's Tie is still going strong. Scottie is subbing out Sunday the 21st, so I thought what better time than to bring in a buddy from Lafayette? Yep. The drummer that I played with all the time in high school had just moved up to Chicago, so it seemed like the perfect time to have him join me on his first Chicago pro gig. His name is Tanner Lee. We played for nearly everything at Jeff High School together. I'm looking forward to it. If things go well, he'll be my top choice sub for when Scott is unavailable. A part of it is, I'm excited to see how it feels after the few years it's been since we played together last. Add in that this environment is about as relaxed as you can get, it pays well, and it's at the GREEN MILL.

Side tangent about the rest of life...
I'm looking for a new day job. I have 3 shifts left. If i don't find something new, I'll be moving to Indy for a while. I'm hoping for less than 3 months. I don't want to lose what I have here in Chicago by moving to Indiana for much time. It'll cost me a bit of green to make the Mill gigs, but I think it'd be worth it. Instead of doing 3 Sundays a month, we'd probably just do 2 a month. It's a bit of a drive to be making at 10PM. Ok, it's a bit of a drive because I'm a horrible driver that has been thrilled to NOT drive much the past 4 years. I'm vastly more comfortable getting on a bus or train and just remembering to get off at a given stop. Yeah, it's not not the same as being able to leave whenever I want and not carry gear. However, I'll take walking 6 blocks with my DB w/it's wheel, an amp on a cart, and 2 electric basses in a back pack gig bag while going down stairs. Why? Because I don't have to screw with cars and driving. $86 for unlimited rides on the CTA. I couldn't park for that much.

So, if any of my readers know of any places that are hiring, let me know-please. I've been using: CarrerBuilder.com, Monster.com, Yahoo Hot Jobs, Craigs List, and SnagaJob.com, in addition to walking around looking for "Help Wanted" signs. I have extensive retail experience-7 years and I can work a flexible schedule. The only times that i can't work are: Sundays after 4PM and for a chunk of the year I play shows on Friday & Saturday nights.

all the best.

No comments: