Sunday, March 22, 2009

Evita is off and running!

Hello,

Evita

We're 2ish? weeks into Evita. The show is locking in and is a blast. I'm subbing out of 2 more dates to play Slams. They are: March 29th and April 19th, I've lined up Chris Damman to sub in for me.

Link to a listing of Reviews

Thus far, the show has been a blast.

The bass book is the most challenging that I've played....there are parts of it that I've simplified that I'll be working on for another few weeks. I feel that simple works pretty well in this context. The book is actually a doubling book-the show is scored for a huge orchestra. There are places where the double bass and harp double each other [well-sorta], places where the double bass is with brass. So-with some editing by Ryan Brewster [music director of Evita]-we've made it work with just electric bass. A lot of the times where I'd be functioning as string section, I'm either just rolling a low note or I'm laying out. I feel like it lets the music take on a more intimate sound where it's just piano & voice, when Kevin [drummer] & I come in-the music takes on a very different texture. It has this inherent drive-i dig it.

Gear for Evita

I recently did some work on my StingRay5. Work = refinished the neck and restrung it. If you're reading this, more than likely you're either related to me or a gear junkie...or i work for you. The necks of StingRay & Sterling basses are gunstock oil and wax.

So, to refinish it, I used a scour pad [the back side of a sponge] to get some of the dirt and gunk off. I used a little bit of rubbing alcohol to get more of the gunk out. This DOES dry out the wood a lot. Once i went over the neck and fingerboard with the scour pad + alcohol, I made sure it was dry. I used Birchwood Casey Truoil for the neck finish. I did 4 coats of oil. I waited 30mins between coats #1 & #2, 15mins between #2 & #3, 15mins between #3 & #4. I waited 30mins before applying wax. This is a much shorter wait time than what the package suggests. I put it by a window wrapped in paper towel while i was waiting. I then put several coats of wax on the neck. I used brown paper bags to rub it out after I had applied it. Now? The neck feels good and is much cleaner.

String-I had been playing on the same set of PowerSlinkys for about a year. It was time for some new strings. The store didn't have Power Slinky's in 5 string, so I got Regular Slinkys 5 [45-130]. Holy hell, new strings made a huge difference in sound. I sound like the recordings again.

It's extremely gear wise for Evita. StingRay5 + SWR WorkingMan's 12. I set my EQ once and I leave it. The treble is barely boosted, mids barely boosted, bass up to about 7/8 of full. 99% of the show is just variations on finger style playing [closer to neck vs. bridge, etc]. On one song {Peron's Latest Flame}-I palm mute.

Well, i need to do some homework before Evita tonight.

all the best.

No comments: