Monday, September 22, 2008

Damn Yankees has opened!!

Hey, as the title says-Damn Yankees has opened. Last week we were in tech.

It was a bit odd, our sitzprobe was also the first orchestra rehearsal. It worked out well enough.

The cast is great, the people are nice, and they are truly great at their craft. I'm looking forward to playing this run and getting to know the cast members. It's hip being around people that are pursuing similar dreams to me. Granted, they're actors, singers, dancers, and techs, but it's still pursuing a career in theater.

The orchestra is fun. It's a 5 piece group. Piano, Bass, Drums, Reeds, Brass. The Reed player plays Sax, Flute, and Clarinet. The Brass player plays euphonium and trombone. Danny Singer did an amazing job at orchestrating this show. He went through and redid the 30+ original orchestration for 5 pieces! Only 2 of which are horns. It sounds amazing. Strangest thing for me, is being the youngster. Granted, my sub is even younger than me, but as far as the normal "core" players go.....i'm the youngest by 7 years. The oldest members are old enough to at least be my parents if not grandparents. Nothing against them, but that struck me as a 'wow" moment. The great part about having more experienced members is that they have stories and wisdom that you can only acquire by having time in the field.

I'm subbing out of October 1st and October 26th.

Here's our first review.
First Review

Since the start of Damn Yankees, I am reevaluating my needs equipment wise. The biggest thing is i'm realizing that I've got great gear now and that any upgrades are solely wants vs. needs. Yeah, it'd be nice to have another bass so that I could have one at home to practice on, but that's an awfully expensive want. E.g. $12k....I don't plan on buying another ply bass, so i'd be looking into a carved one. Bow wise-I don't use it a whole lot, and I can get a nice sound with this one. So playing my $150 Brazilwood bow is working out nicely-especially after a rehair [to black] by Mark Sonksen. Amps-If I continue to get calls for upright only gigs, getting a new amp is very much just a NICE thing. I'll probably end up getting a new amp first anyway.....lighter weight, more versatility, and all that stuff is always a good thing.

Time for more studying.

The nice thing about doing online classes is-I can schedule them whenever I want as long as I get the assignments done by the due date/time.

all the best.

No comments: